U.S Based Nigeria Woman Loses Custody of her Children

 A U.S-based Nigerian woman shared her story with Brandon Stanton, American blogger, best selling author and founder of Humans Of New York.


“I was pregnant the first time he hit me. I found another woman in his house. And when I asked who she was, hegot violent. He told me: ‘You are not my mother. You have no right to ask me about this.’ Then he hit me. And there wasnothing I could do. That sort of behavior is accepted in Nigeria. Nobody is going to call it ‘domestic violence.’ If you tell the police, they will tellyou to listen to your husband.But things are different in America. So I left my husbandsix months after we arrived. I entered a domestic violence shelter. I became a single mother. And I was doing fine. Iwas working as a security guard and my children were not suffering. But then one day my daughter called the police and told them that I hit her.But that is my right. A mother has the right to discipline her children. They were disobeying me. But the government took my children away and now they won’t give them back. They are oppressing me with their power.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Women Self Defense Techniques

Four Feared Dead in Ivory Coast Crash.